Monday, September 3, 2012

Getting ready for what's next

In many ways I've spent my summer doing just what this post's title says. Yes I know there is still much preparation ahead of me in my last two semesters. It hardly seems like just two years ago I arrived in Austin. Sometimes it seems like only yesterday and sometimes it seems like that was twenty years ago. So much has happened  in such a short period of time. So much growth has taken place in me and I know without a doubt I am slowly evolving into the woman God is calling me to be.

Two years ago, I wasn't sure I could accept this challenge. I was scared to death and had no idea of what to expect. It had only been a matter of weeks since I had returned from a year in China. And oh how I missed the people there, and still do. And as much as I never set out to make Austin, TX my home, it slowly has become just that. This leads me to mention one of the questions I've pondered this summer, which is: what makes a home a home? Dictionary.com says  this of home "the place in which one's domestic affections are centered." Hmmm, domestic affections. Austin's not perfect and it'll never be Birmingham or Auburn, both places I previously considered home. But our time here on Earth isn't meant to be perfect. God reminds me often to not get too comfortable here because this isn't my final stop. But it's definitely a place where my "domestic affections" are centered. And it'll always have a very special place in my heart.

So what's next for me? I'll just have to wait and see. I've got a pretty good idea and as soon as I know for certain, I'll share my plans with those of you who are following my journey. I can definitely tell you that I am excited and scared. all at the same time. I'm also reminded that God's plans for me are sooo much better than I could have ever imagined, so I try to refrain from planning too far in advance. I can see just how true that is when I look back to where I was just two years ago.

I remember just after I moved here and was waiting at the bus stop one afternoon, running in to this young woman who's about my same age. We got to talking and she explained that she was homeless. She had asked for money for bus fare. I hardly had much of my own money, but knew that I had to share what I had. After the bus arrived we both went our own ways and I've not seen her since, but then I couldn't help but question, "what makes her any different from me?" And I know I've asked God that very question. Two years later, I'm still not sure. But meeting her made me so very grateful for this opportunity to be here in Austin and in seminary. And I know that it is my responsibility to use everything I've been taught here and over the course of my 35 years to do my part to help make this world a better place. I will not take any of it for granted.

Tomorrow night will begin my first night of work study on campus and my first class is on Wednesday  night. And again, I am excited and scared. It is my prayer that God will continue teaching, equipping, and preparing me for my next chapter. I'll keep you posted of what continues to be next for me.

With much love and gratitude,

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment