Wednesday, July 4, 2012

GC-Day 1

So, today was my first full day of General Convention here in Indianapolis. Already it has been a great learning experience. This morning I visited the House of Deputies and found the Diocese of Alabama. I was saddened to see that the tables were decorated with UA (University of Alabama) megaphones and shakers. My sadness was quickly turned around when I found out that the tables would later be decorated with equal amounts of AU (Auburn University) and UA paraphernalia. From there I left and headed over to the consecration of Bishops and the opportunity to see Diocese of Pittsburgh Bishop-elect Dorsey McDonnell be consecrated. This has to be my favorite moment of the day. I know very little about the history of this particular diocese but after hearing the passion and devotion that Bishop-elect Dorsey spoke with about his love of the Church and Christ, I completely understood why he was elected and for one brief moment, I wanted to move to Pittsburgh so that he could be my Bishop. I believe great things are going to happen for this diocese.

After leaving the consecrations of Bishops it was time to head back to the our booth in Exhibit Hall B, where I had the opportunity to meet and greet SSW alums. I always enjoy a good story about what things were like in years past. Then we were off to lunch and ran into Dean Travis.

After lunch, I had the opportunity to check out other booths in the exhibit hall and had the wonderful opportunity to meet and speak with the ladies of the Order of St. Helena, which is located in Georgia. They were a great group of ladies, full of love for what they do and also very talented. Each sister has a particular talent. Many of them are rather artistic. They have a writer, a jewelry maker, an artist. All of their work was beautiful.

Later in the day, I had the opportunity to sit in on my first committee meeting for World Missions. I found the governmental process to be very interesting. This is another group of very passionate people. It is great to see first hand a lot of the behind-the-scenes action that I normally don't get to see.

Tomorrow's sure to be as exciting, if not more than today. I have to remind myself to pace myself. It's still early and I don't want to be completely exhausted by Friday, since I still have many more days to go. Tomorrow I will attend my first Community Eucharist and then head back to the SSW booth and off to committee meetings. I'll fill you in tomorrow night on the goings-on of the day. Till then Happy Fourth of July! Blessings!

Peace,

Jaime

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie:

    The Diocese of Pittsburg was one of a few in the US that was affected by some parishes (and I think the Bishop may have been involved) over leaving The Episcopal Church over heated issues decided in past General Conventions.

    I'm praying that this doesn't happen again after this year's convention.

    ReplyDelete